Monday, April 1, 2013

the Host

The Host


"In the future, the human race has been assimilated by benevolent extraterrestrial psychic parasites called "Souls". Melanie Stryder (Saoirse Ronan), a human, is captured by the Seeker (Diane Kruger) and infused with a soul called "Wanderer", in order to discover the location of one of the last pockets of non-assimilated humans. However, Melanie survives the procedure and begins to struggle for control of her body."

"2013 Film
The Host is an American science fiction film, adapted from Stephenie Meyer's novel of the same name. Written and directed by Andrew Niccol, the film stars Saoirse Ronan, Max Irons, and Jake Abel. It was released on March 29, 2013."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Host_(2013_film)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1517260/

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_host_2013/



Cast

Main article: List of The Host characters

Saoirse Ronan as Melanie Stryder/Wanderer
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saoirse_Ronan
Born Saoirse Una Ronan
12 April 1994 (age 18)
Height: 5' 6" (1.68 m)
The Bronx, New York, U.S.


Jake Abel as Ian O'Shea


Born Jacob Allen Abel
Height: 6' 1" (1.85 m)
November 18, 1987 (age 25)
Canton, Ohio, U.S.

Max Irons as Jared Howe


Born: Maximilian Paul Diarmuid Irons
17 October 1985 (age 27)



Height: 6' 2" (1.88 m)
Camden, London, England
Occupation Actor, model
Years active 2004-present
Parents: Jeremy Irons
Sinéad Cusack
Relatives: Samuel Irons (brother)

Chandler Canterbury as Jamie Stryder
Frances Fisher as Maggie Stryder

Diane Kruger as The Seeker


Diane Kruger is a German actress and former fashion model. She is known for roles such as Helen in Troy, Dr. Abigail Chase in National Treasure and its sequel, Bridget von Hammersmark in Inglourious Basterds, Anna in Mr. Nobody, and Gina in Unknown. Wikipedia

Born: July 15, 1976 (age 36), Algermissen
Height: 5' 7" (1.70 m)
Weight: 123.5 lbs (56 kg)
Partner: Joshua Jackson (2006–)
Spouse: Guillaume Canet (m. 2001–2006)

William Hurt as Jeb Stryder
Boyd Holbrook as Kyle O'Shea
Scott Lawrence as Doc
Lee Hardee as Aaron
Phil Austin as Charles
Raeden Greer as Lily
Alexandria Morrow as Soul
Emily Browning as Pet/Wanderer


http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2013/03/26/stephenie-meyer-the-host-twilight/1996079/

"Will 'Twilight' fans get on board for sci-fi story? And does that even matter?
When the movie version of Stephenie Meyer's best-selling novelThe Hostopens Friday, theTwilight saga author's followers will sink their teeth into it to see if it's worthy of welcoming into their universe.
They should brace themselves for an alien experience..."



Review:


http://www.aintitcool.com/node/61712
"I’ve never walked out of a movie in my time on this earth. Not once. I’ve always found that even in the instances of witnessing something truly terrible, there is something to be learned from the experience, specifically what not to do in making a good movie, and also what to look for in recognizing another bad one. Besides, we can’t go through life only taking in good films. It skews the scale of taste, as how can you really know what is good, unless you’ve experienced the other end of the spectrum? So for that reason, even at the sacrifice of my own time, I’ve always tried to take something away from the terrible, never allowing myself to split early, in the hopes of salvaging my money from supporting such slop.

And then I met THE HOST, and I came about as close to walking out on a flick as I ever have before in all my movie-watching history. Within 15 minutes of the film’s opening, I absolutely wanted out. I wanted to get up out of my seat, and leave this abysmal adaptation of Stephenie Meyer’s novel behind, not wanting to give it another second of my time. However, I stayed the course, and I rode it out, knowing that was the only way I could commit a fully formed opinion of THE HOST. I wouldn’t be able to explain to you how atrocious this thing was if I only caught a 15-minute glimpse. Plus, what if, by some miracle, it got better? (It doesn’t.)
...

THE HOST is a terrible film with absolutely nothing positive going for it. Not the acting, not the filmmaking, not the art direction, not the costumes... nothing. Anyone sitting through this who isn’t a 11-year-old Meyer reader is asking for all the misery they have coming to them. This is one of the worst movies I have ever seen, and the one lesson I took away from it is that if I was ever to make a film, whatever they did in THE HOST, do the opposite.

other review:


"Saw this in the theaters yesterday, I thought it was pretty good... even though they did not capture the details of other planets in this one but they stuck to the book."

No comments:

Post a Comment